– Ornithologists (clean word) claim that all species of avian raptors (eagles, hawks, etc.) are monogamous.
– Shakespeare’s Globe Theatre was built in 1599. It burned to the ground in in 1613. A real cannon being used for special effects set fire to the thatched roof during a production of Henry VIII.
– The Romans of old had special deities for just about everything imaginable. For instance: Cloacina was goddess of the local sewer systems.
– One wonders whether partial credit was awarded for the cited answers. Actual test questions and responses: What is a fossil? A fossil is some extinct animal. The longer it has been dead, the more extinct it is. Next question: At what location was The Declaration of Independence signed? Answer: Mostly near the bottom.
– Pablo Picasso was born in 1881, but his entrance into this world was perilous. Pablo was thought to have been stillborn. He was reportedly “completely blue.” The distraught midwife in attendance proclaimed the unfortunate child dead. Tradition has it that an uncle picked up the newborn, shook him mildly and blew cigar smoke in his face. The infant began to cry. That baby became one of the world’s great artists and lived to age 91.
– Dr. Jukka Ammont, a professor of literature in Finland, has busied himself by translating the lyrics of a few Elvis Presley hits into Latin. “It’s Now or Never” became “Nunc Hic Aut Numquam.” I am not making this up. However, I do remain uninformed as to how many copies of that Latin version have been purchased.
– There exists a barge named Prelude that is huge. The craft is 1601 feet in length. For comparison, the Eiffel Tower is 987 feet in height and the Empire State Building is 1453 feet tall. The Prelude has been constructed specifically to transport Liquefied Natural Gas (LNG). It is painted red (the barge, not the gas).
– A neonatal orca (killer whale) usually remains a member of its mother’s family group for life. The beautiful black and white mammals have average life spans that exceed 7 decades.
– Published in a reputable medical journal, results of a recent study confirm that in order for a person to be fluent in a second language, said person should undertake learning of the language before age eleven. Subsequent to that age, mastery is said to be “nearly impossible.” This information could explain why I have made so little progress with my Gciriku or algebra. Well, be particularly cautious when performing in thatched theaters (theatres?) – and have a great day.
James White is a retired mathematics teacher who enjoys sharing fascinating trivia. He can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org.