It may interest you to learn something about the actor who portrayed Auric Goldfinger in the film Goldfinger. German thespian Gert Frobe played the title role, but he had such a heavy accent that Americans purportedly could not understand most of the English words he uttered. After weeks of ineffective pronunciation lessons, the producers gave up and hired actor Michael Collins to dub in every line spoken by the “master villain.”
– The Bible makes mention of the stubbornness of a mule (Psalm 32:9). The Holy Book also implies that people often suffer because of their stubbornness as in Exodus 7:13-14 and Deuteronomy 9:13. I like to think that I exhibit perseverance rather than stubbornness. My spouse does not always share my opinions.
– Until 1887 photography required that the targeted subject be still for several seconds in order to properly expose the images onto photographic plates. In 1887 Germans Adolf Miethe and Johannes Gaedicke began to market a mixture of magnesium powder and potassium chlorate to offer a product that popped and lit up a limited area making it possible for photography to record pictures almost instantly. The powder was dubbed Blitzlicht which translates “flash light.” The Blitzlicht was mostly replaced by flashbulbs in the late 1920’s.
– I do not feel at liberty to always name names. Hence, “a couple” living in The Woodlands, Texas would seem to be in line to receive congratulations for loyalty as well as extreme caution. They married after dating each other for 41 consecutive years.
– In October of 1888, one John J. Loud was issued a patent for the world’s first ballpoint pen. The invention was only marginally (no pun intended) effective, but later improvements opened up a whole new market for writing instruments. Loud’s goal had been to create a device for marking on coarse surfaces such as raw wood or plain wrapping paper, which fountain pens could not do without splattering ink or damaging the nibs.
– In 1930’s Wisconsin, it was illegal to serve apple pie without cheese. What may be worse is that throwing pickle juice on a trolley car in Rhode Island can get a person fined or arrested.
– Since the Golden Gate Bridge opened in 1937, more than 1600 people have committed suicide by jumping from the suspension structure that spans the Golden Gate Strait. Well, pay heed to location when throwing pickle juice – and have a great week.