The following are just a few examples of what our Town has recently accomplished to protect and preserve the Sonoran Desert, scenic corridors, open space, and outdoor recreation in Cave Creek.
- Led a proactive community outreach effort to reach a landslide victory in favor of the 2021 General Plan, which guides and addresses core elements of importance to our residents such as land use, growth areas, environmental planning, and water resources. Land use and zoning language changes within the Plan will help preserve and protect our low-density lifestyle.
- Approved an Intergovernmental Agreement (IGA) with Maricopa County to pay for 12 appraisals for surrounding properties at Spur Cross Ranch Conservation Area resulting in a private buyer preserving 30+ acres for a future artists’ retreat. Continuing to work in collaboration with the Desert Foothills Land Trust to achieve similar public/private partnerships.
- Updated landscape design guidelines requiring additional trees based upon commercial parking ratios.
- Updated trails design guidelines allowing for flexible design and surfacing rather than concrete sidewalks.
- Updated the outdoor lighting ordinance to include capping the allowable kelvin output.
6. Improved, installed, or repaired miles of trails and completed mapping of the public trail system.
- Improved and expanded the parking area at Spur Cross Ranch and Jewel of the Creek to accommodate more than 25,000 visitors every year.
- Extended a pedestrian trail from the parking area to the Jewel of the Creek.
- Examined the feasibility of acquiring residential property on open land for conservation purposes.
- Working cooperatively with Maricopa County on its Parks Master Plan update.
- Coordinated 7 events to recognize “Local Landmarks” in conjunction with the Cave Creek Museum.
- Coordinated multiple pathway connections within the Historic Town Core in cooperation with commercial property owners.
- Welcomed new members with fresh perspectives to the Plan Commission and provided them with training and education regarding zoning ordinances and applicable state laws.
Town of Cave Creek