Seven group campgrounds on the Tonto National Forest have been closed indefinitely for the health and safety of visitors and staff.
Effective immediately the following group use areas will be closed and unavailable to rent via Recreation.gov:
- Cave Creek Group Campground, Cave Creek Ranger District
- Kellner Group Site, Globe Ranger District
- Timber Camp Recreation Area and Group Campgrounds, Globe Ranger District
- Larry Forbis Group Site, Mesa Ranger District
- Reynolds Creek Group Campground, Pleasant Valley Ranger District
- Frazier Group Campground, Tonto Basin Ranger District
- Grapevine Group Campground, Tonto Basin Ranger District
Notifications to renters will be made as soon as possible and refunds will be processed.
As we work through an unpredictable and rapidly changing situation, health and safety is our number one priority. We are committed to continuing to support our communities and fulfill our mission as we all work together to minimize the impacts and spread of COVID-19.
These actions have been taken based on the best available medical advice for cleaning per CDC guidelines and to promote social distancing.
The Tonto National Forest continues to monitor the COVID-19 situation and evaluate potential impacts and adjustments to reservations and our reservation policies through Recreation.gov. Reservation holders will be notified via email and/or cell phone text messages if there are any changes affecting their reservation. In the event of delayed openings of some, part or all of the campgrounds and cabins to ensure safe social distancing, you will receive a full refund for your reservation. Please remember to review current recommendations from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention and focus on recreating safely while protecting yourself, Forest Service employees and our volunteers.