– There are at least 60 distinct species of eagles. I cannot share an exact number with the reader because ornithologists do not all agree. And ornithologists know lots of stuff. There are only four species (eagles, not ornithologists) native to North America – Bald Eagle, Golden Eagle, Steller’s Sea Eagle and Gray Sea Eagle. I am told that Beagles are radically different. It is a shared trait of all members of the Accipitridae family (eagles) that the adult females are typically larger and heavier than the males.
– On occasion, it floods in that beautiful storied city of Venice. In October of 2018, the water levels reached four feet above normal because of rain and high winds. The metropolis known as “Queen of the Adriatic” was founded in the 5th century A.D. The site has survived many previous inundations and Venice will likely survive the 10/2018 surge. Venice shall be welcoming sightseers come springtime.
– The largest bald cypress tree in the world and the tallest tree in Florida stood 125 feet tall in 1925. Records show that the prized árbol was visited by former President Calvin Coolidge in 1929 to direct in placing of a bronze commemorative plaque near “The Senator” (unofficial name of that tree). In 2012, a 26 year old arsonist set fire to The Senator and has likely killed the cherished Floridian landmark. However, some arboriculturists think that live sprigs may eventually grow out of the mother tree. The arsonist went to prison for her crimes. I am no Joyce Kilmer, but I do see beauty in old trees.
– As we enjoy another autumn, it may be apropos that I mention the “official” list detailing identities of those who endured a historic voyage during September, October and November of 1620. There were exactly 102 surviving passengers. The number of crewmen is not known. Some of the passengers did not survive the harsh North American winter of 1620-1621. Pilgrims aboard the Mayflower were resilient. They were resolute. They were determined. Wimps like me would never have survived.
– George Washington’s final military promotion (to General of the Armies of the United States) did not occur until 177 years after he died. Perhaps officials were doing a truly thorough job of vetting?
– The average lifespan of a goldfish living in the wild is said to be about 25 years. The average lifespan of a goldfish in our home aquarium was about three weeks. We tried. Our family simply did not excel at Carassius auratus husbandry. It could be that the poor fish were fed too often. I wish you a delightful day.
James White is a retired mathematics teacher who enjoys sharing fascinating trivia. He can be reached at email@example.com.