“We would like to provide you with our fact sheet for the upcoming Nov. 6 ballot question for CCUSD to partner with the East Valley Institute of Technology so high school students could take their career and technical courses.”
• On June 25, 2018, the CCUSD Governing Board called for an election to place a question as part of the November 6, 2018 ballot.
• The voters in our district would have the opportunity to vote whether or not CCUSD should join the East Valley Institute of Technology (EVIT).
• EVIT is a Career and Technical Education District or CTED.
• A CTED is a separate district that overlays a public school district to provide Career and Technical Education and specific job skills.
• If the CCUSD voters approve the ballot question to allow CCUSD to join EVIT, our high school juniors and seniors would be able to travel to any EVIT facility to take the specialized coursework each school day, after taking a minimum of 4 courses daily at Cactus Shadows High School.
• In addition, our plans are to have EVIT renovate areas of the former Desert Arroyo Middle School campus, adjacent to Cactus Shadows, so that our Juniors and Seniors who are also enrolled in EVIT courses, can take their EVIT coursework there.
• A student survey taken last spring identified the following career areas for possible coursework at the CTED Center at the former Desert Arroyo Middle School campus: Engineering, Health Fields, Technology Fields and Culinary/Hospitality.
• Any student who lives in the CCUSD boundaries and/or attends Cactus Shadows High School would be eligible to enroll in EVIT courses.
• If the ballot question is approved, a “nickel tax” would be assessed per $100 of secondary assessed valuation.
– A home with a full cash value of $100,000 would see a tax increase of $5.00 per year.
– An average priced home in CCUSD at $555,750 would pay $27.79 per year or$2.32 per month. The estimated secondary assessed valuation would be $1,975,121,478.
If you have any additional questions, please contact Dr. Kent Frison, Associate Superintendent for Operations and Finance at email@example.com.