– China has had only one female emperor and that woman was quite a character. In 655 Wu Zetian (I am NOT making up these names) was a “court favorite” of the reigning Chinese emperor. Wu had ambitions. She alleged that the empress had killed a baby and convinced the emperor to imprison the accused. Shortly later, Wu was made empress. When the emperor died in 690, Wu had garnered so much power and influence that she had several “court favorites,” the old empress and the male next in line to be emperor all executed. Then Wu installed herself as emperor with an elaborate coronation. She even adopted a male name: Shengshen. Shengshen died in 705 at age 81.
– Pizza is a preferred food in many regions of the world. However, the desired toppings vary considerably. For instance: in India a popular pizza order includes minced mutton, cottage cheese and pickled ginger. In sections of Russia, one might find combinations of sardines, mackerel and salmon smothered with substantial piles of onions.
– If typical, the length of your small intestine is approximately four times your height.
– There is no creditable evidence that Albert Einstein (or anyone else famous) ever said “One definition of insanity is to do the same thing over and over and expect different results.” If folks truly believed that statement, there should be far fewer second marriages and Charlie Brown would cease kicking at Lucy’s football and the Cleveland Browns would disband.
– A favorite ride at the “Happiest Place on Earth” (Disneyland) is the Haunted Mansion. Opened in 1969, the attraction is frequently revised for remunerating customers that pay handsomely to be frightened by a special blend of ghosts, skeletons, “murdering” brides and “splashing blood.” The joy-seekers shriek and scream delightfully on the renowned ride while being transported in a Doom Buggy. Not me. I usually opt for one of those scary pepperoni pizzas (no ginger).
– In case you are asked: The average adult elephant weighs less than the tongue of the average adult blue whale.
– Unless there has been a recent change, more dogs than people reside in Paris (France).
– Celebrities often attempt to take advantage of their statuses in order to vend various products in our American markets. One of the more peculiar was Muhammed Ali Shoe Polish. That particular venture was not deemed a tremendous success. Well, I hope that you have no Wu-types in your family organizations and that you experience a delightful week.
James White is a retired mathematics teacher who enjoys sharing fascinating trivia. He can be reached at email@example.com.