Developed by the Department of Homeland Security for Local Community Preparedness, this 24 hours of Disaster Preparedness training is provided FREE of charge.This class is tailored to the Phoenix area and more specifically, the Daisy Mountain communities. Training is open to anyone who is at least 18 years old.
Class Schedule: 8 consecutive Thursday evenings from 7 .p.m – 10 .p.m beginning September 1. You must attend all 8 sessions to receive a certificate of completion. There is also a ninth evening of class for anyone who needs to makeup a missed class.
Location: Daisy Mountain Fire Department Station 141, 43814 N New River Road, New River AZ 85087.
CERT Training will teach participants to:
1. Describe the types of hazards most likely to affect their homes and communities.
2. Describe the function of CERT and their roles in immediate response.
3. Take steps to prepare themselves for a disaster.
4. Identify and reduce potential fire hazards in their homes and workplaces.
5. Work as a team to apply basic fire suppression strategies, resources, and safety measures to extinguish a burning liquid.
6. Apply techniques for opening airways, controlling bleeding, and treating shock.
7. Conduct triage under simulated conditions.
8. Perform head-to-toe assessments.
9. Select and set up a treatment area.
10. Employ basic treatments for various wounds.
11. Identify planning and size-up requirements for potential search and rescue situations.
12. Describe the most common techniques for searching a structure.
13. Use safe techniques for debris removal and victim extrication.
14. Describe ways to protect rescuers during search and rescue.